Wednesday, February 14, 2007

An End To a LOVEly Day

Best Friends lunch was soooo fun! It is officially a tradition, started last year with Holly, ah the memories. This year was celebrated with Kristen and Rebecca, I love these women! The picture is crap, but its all we got. What I missed out on with having sisters the Lord has exponentially blessed me with girlfriends!! I'm a choosy girl, not one to be in the popular crowd, not one to have energy befriending ladies, so when they fall into my lap I know they are special. I have contemplated for awhile now doing a friend blog and I find it overly compelling to do right now..here goes... (but first look at my little love bug! another yucky picture but you get the idea! She's soooo adorable!)
My first Best friend ever was Kari Hubert. She holds a special place in my heart, I couldn't have survived my childhood without her.
Renee, another childhood friend who holds a place in my heart. We stayed friends even after I moved from Illinois at such a young age. Her daughter was in my wedding and I in hers. We have that special kind of friendship that no matter how long it is between seeing each other, it is always like no time has passed when we're together. She is an incredible person, and wonderful friend.
My high school friends- Lisa, Natalie,Naomi, Nicole, Joy. Fun times. I could have never survived adolescence without them. Lisa particularly was my link to sanity, someone who always encouraged me and inspired me and lifted me up. I worshipped her!
Cindy was also pivotal to me in high school. She was always soooo much fun. The girlfriend that showed me how to be "cool". The one who shared my first kiss experience. The one who taught me what it really means to be a friend. To this day I love talking to her, love her wit, love her determination, love her vulnerability and strength.
College- yeah no friends there, pretty much just obsessed with Ryan. Although, that is when Michelle popped into my life, in jolly ole' England. Truly God's working. Michelle has been such an important person in my life. I have loved watching her grow in the gospel and grow as a wife and mother. Her strength and calmness in the midst of a storm ALWAYS impresses me. Her faith and desire to always do what is right is inspiring. I love how she is willing to do anything for me and my family, she is one of the most generous people I know. It was so very very special to have our first born girls so close together, to watch a friendship develop between them from infancy was darling. I miss her dearly!
Candace Kay Todd, my angel. A sister in so many way. She got Ryan and I to the temple on our wedding day, by letting us be a part of her day, that has always meant a lot to me. We hardly knew each other when one night we hung out (I guess for my birthday) and she brought me a basket of scrapbook supplies as a gift and then i knew I'd love her forever. We actually lived down the street from each other which now seems too good to be true, what a great time of our lives that was. Being in the RS Presidency together was incredible as well. My favorite memories of her are our walks when I was pregnant with Julia, she walking Maddy, it was so fun- wonderful mom-in-law talks :). She is my go to woman when I need a spiritual lift, or someone to cry to, or someone that will laugh really hard. She is so creative as most of you know, a true inspiration. She's gentle and firey, passionate and compassionate, the sister I have always longed for.
Holly. Holly Holly Holly. Holly came into my life next. Candace had moved to Idaho, I moved across town hoping to be closer to Michelle, and there out of nowhere came Holly. This friendship developed into a love affair. I don't think I have connected with someone this quick, this completely since well, Ryan. Holly is me, no really, we are sooo much alike it scares us sometimes. When the POF diagnosis came Holly was my light in the darkness. She made me believe I would have another baby. Her hugs, her open door, her listening ear (for hours) got me through those horrible days. She can make me laugh like no other, she gets me talking like no other, she makes me smile just thinking of her. She is my go-to-girl with everything, especially when I am having my freak out moments, she totally centers me and helps me see clearly and hopefully again. The one thing I miss about Vegas is being able to go sit at Holly's house, it is always so comfortable, so much like home. She is real. She is strong. She is SMART. There is something deep about our friendship, it transcends the here and now. She is the sister I have always needed.
After leaving Vegas I was content to call my friends, be alone in Castle Rock and be fine with that. I mean did anyone have a chance after these women embedded my heart?
Yet I was blessed again. Rebecca. Someone who really wanted to hang out, to talk, to be real with. Someone to laugh with and seriously dig dirt with! I love it! I love how down to earth she is, how open and honest she is. Her convictions and ability to share them are refreshing. Her love for life and how we always have fun together is something so invigorating. She's my salvation in a land that was otherwise inhospitable.
Finally Kristen. I first got a look at her from the pulpit at church, she gave a riveting talk on shall we say, the sanctity of marriage. I was instantly impressed and intrigued by this obviously gutsy woman. Turns out she's freaking incredible. One of the most humble people I know, and yet so deserving of praise. An angle to me constantly, like just last week bringing me dinner when Ryan was gone and Lauren was sick. She makes me want to be around her just by being her. She's genuine, she's giving, she's hilarious. I love her to death and look forward to growing and being friends the rest of our lives!
SO my only thing that reserves me from doing this is I know how women are- we compare. Please please please my friends do not compare. You are all so very special to me, women I could not live without and there really is no way a paragraph in a blog could possibly express all that you are to me. The Lord has put you all in my life for a very special purpose and reason, and I am sooo grateful for each of you! Happy Valentine's Day!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!!
And fianlly, Heart pancakes (and chicken nuggets not pictured) and punch for dinner! whoohoo! I love holidays!

6 comments:

Evan and Rebecca Jones said...

okay chanel - you're like oprah. i always want to cry when i read your blog. :) (yesterday's oprah - such a tear jerker right?) anyway thanks again for lunch yesterday - so fun and you're so cute and creative. thanks for being MY salvation when i moved to castle rock.

Heather said...

What a nice tribute to your friends. It is something to have genuine people in your life. I often worry about Lauren not having a sister. Like she will miss out on that special connection. It is good to know that she can have a special bond with her girlfriends as you do.

Kris said...

OH Chanel, you. I got a call from Darron and he said, "Have you read Chanel's blog yet? You should." First, I had to catch up about the Glenster. (What an endearing man, gotta love the C-Rock and the people this town attracts.) But then as I made my way up the blog...lots o' tears. To be included in such a list of your friends - these other women who are obviously incredibly strong, talented, intelligent, kind, generous and loving - was TRULY humbling, and just served to point out an even more striking and OBVIOUS fact that the real person who centers all of us is incredible YOU with your ability to love and see the good in others, and your skill of making us all look good and feel good. Thank you FOR you - all these kind words are merely a reflection of the person you are. WE love you.

Michelle said...

Hi Chanel-
I can't rememebr the last time someone said so many nice things about me. Thank you for that. I know we were suppose to live in the same flat together in England and meant to be life long friends (Julia and Avry too!) I wouldn't be where I am today without all of your spiritual support and friendship. You have been such a wonderful friend and so genuine. You're the best!

Candace said...

Oh my gosh. You are such a sweetheart. Kristen hit it right on the head. You are such a good friend. Such a real, comfortable person to be around. No wonder you have so many wonderful friends....because you are so wonderful.

You made me feel so good today. Not only with the nice things you had to say about me, but about everyone. What a good, warm, fuzzy post!

So here's my Chanel tribute:

You are REAL. You're not afraid to hide anything....happiness & fear. Your laugh is so great. It's contagious. Hanging out with you is so comfortable & cozy. So natural & real. You are thoughtful & sincere. You have a way of saying the most beautiful & encouraging things to me when I'm in doubt, or sad, or insecure. You make me feel good.

Thank you & I love you. Can you believe that we've been friends for almost 7 years!?!?! Insane.

Me said...

Like Rebecca, Im crying, too. I often think that there is no way you can possibly like me as much as I like you. All the things you say about me & your other friends are traits that YOU totally exemplify. It's like we were talking about, all these people are in our lives at the right time, and have been just what we needed to grow. I look forward to you helping me progress over the next 60 years, & into the life after that!! I am so thankful for you.