Thursday, May 18, 2006

Using my senses

I am having a real spring for the first time in my adult life, and it is as wonderful as I have always imagined! On our walk today I tried to really take in the sights, sounds, & smells around me and it was so neat! I thought more than once, "I wish I had Candace's camera." The surrounding here are so tranquil, they remind me of a European vacation poster in a travel agent's office. The air is so fresh and clean. There are all kinds of wild flowers growing. Crickets were chirping, which Julia wondered about, "its not ni-night time" she explained. We saw our friend the gopher. I took deep cleansing breaths, the air smelled like Zion, I was reminded of girls' camp.
At home we hung out in the backyard, it was so nice to have the breeze on us. All my windows are open and it just feels so good. Everyday I feel blessed to be here and so grateful for this move. I took a walk around the neighborhood the other night by myself, my heart swelled as I smelled the fresh cut grass, heard kids playing in their backyards, watched a couple of joggers go by. These are all pretty mundane things, but they are so novel to me. I love the simplicity and the realness.

I bought the latest People magazine with Brook Sheilds on the cover. I like her, and I think its cool that I have two girls about the same age as her's. It's made me look at Lauren and Julia today in a new light- they are MINE. I love them so much! Lauren is such a doll. I love the big wide eyed smile she gives me every morning when I come get her. She gets so happy, it is adorable!!! I love her smell in the morning, like baby amplified. She's such a lovey. Julia is a wonderful big sister too. She found a Nuk in my purse today and before she gave it to Lauren she ran and washed it off. I had no idea what she was doing, but once I realized I was so proud of her. Lauren never takes a Nuk so it just showed me again how much Julia picks up on just from watching me. She is into "reading" books on her own now and will occasionally read them to Lauren. So sweet. We're going to make some cookies this afternoon- hope they turn out! Nothing better than using that fifth sense- taste! Mmmmm!

3 comments:

Candace said...

What cute pictures! My goodness...Lauren is so pretty!

So cool to actually experience seasons, isn't it? Dylan & I still flip out about how close to nature we are here. Just the other day we saw a bird eating a worm & we both went "Whoah!!!!" It's so cool. They came to cut the grass here the other day & I was shocked at how much I was loving the smell. You just forget about it when it's been a few winter months of snow & no grass....so it's like it's all new again & it's glorious!!

Ryan said...

Wow, sweetheart, you are such a cool mom! Julia and Lauren are so lucky to have you. And I am, too. I am still so amazed at how much you love me. I mean, you were ready to go to a Rockies game! Here's to years of fresh air, gophers, and insomnic crickets.

-Hubs

Ipuna Black said...

You and Ryan are so cute. I can't believe you guess are still together :)! Anyway, Lauren is soooo big! It's crazy. I remember when she would grab the bench at church to look behind her. That is what Xayla does now. I guess they do grow up fast!
I am jealous of all the greenery. I want to move somewhere more green. Maybe after Dental School.