Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Wanna Good Read?

I just finished this book and it was the best thing I have read in a LONG time!!! I saw it at Barnes & Noble a few months ago and figured I'd get it some other time. Well thankfully Michelle left a copy for me and I absolutely drank it up! If you're a dog lover you will really appreciate the mentality of the author, it has great insight to life and parenthood and is a great reminder to live and have a good time doing it. I don't think I will ruin it if I tell you about the end, but in case you don't want to know, don't read the following in red...
You can kind of figure from the beginning that the end of the book is the end of Marley's life, but in the midst of reading you are so entertained with him, as well as with the lives of his humans. The end kills though, you will absolutely fall in love with the pup, and to see him pass on is soooo sad, but it also leaves you with a sense that life goes on. For me it was like really experiencing his death, I of course am a quite good at crying, so I was a mess this morning.
It also made me think of my best dog Snickers, any of you who might had have the pleasure of knowing him also probably had the pleasure of being bit by him, but he was my baby, before my real babies got here. It also made me reflect on how I treat Moby. Getting a dog right before my girls were born was probably the most inhumane thing we could have done to an animal, she's so neglected. I am going to try and be more loving and patient with her.
There was one part I marked to remember because the author describes it so well, he writes about how he and his wife felt about their kids and why they wanted another one, " Even on the worst days, we usually managed to find something to smile over, knowing by now what every parent sooner or later figures out, that these wonderous days of early parenthood- of diapered bottoms and first teeth and incomprehensible jabber- are but a brilliant, brief flash in the vastness of an otherwise ordinary lifetime." That is such a beautiful description of what my life is right now! I can really tell I am in the midst of a brilliant flash right now and I love it! Here are my silly girls- Julia came out of the bathroom looking oh so beautiful after applying handsoap to hair like some kind of hair gel. And Lauren Grace chopping on a teether biscuit, but looking much more like she's enjoying a good cigar. Always something to smile and even laugh about around here!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I skipped the part in red. I'm so close to finishing. Today, I hope. I love the author's style of writing too.

Funny girls!

Candace said...

I love, love, love that quote! So beautifully put.