Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Eats without meats

Lovin dinner last night- great for the heat of summer- try it you'll love it too!
Italian Summer Salad
16oz. Farfalle (bowtie pasta)
1/3 C. virgin olive oil
1/3 C. balsamic vinegar
1-1/2 C. chopped tomatoes
3/4 C. black olives broken (or whole if your 3 year old likes putting them on her fingers)
2 C. fresh spinach leaves chopped
1/4 C. green onion chopped
1/4 C. Romano cheese, grated (in the same isle as the parmesan)
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Cook pasta, rinse until cool. Toss well with remaining ingredients. Chill and serve.


Now top the healthy dinner off with COOKIE PIZZA and you'll be in heaven! It makes extra "frosting" which I am currently dipping raspberries and strawberries in right now, DELISH!

COOKIE PIZZA
1 18oz package refrigerated choc. chip cookie dough
1 8oz package cream cheese
1 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa
1/3 C Sugar
2 C. Cool Whip ( i used chocolate cool whip)
slices strawberries
chocolate chips
Press Cookie dough in 12 inch pizza pan. Bake 350 for 20 minutes OR until golden.
Cool.
Beat softened cream cheese, sugar, and cocoa until blended. Fold in cool whip.
Spread cream cheese mixture over crust, top with fruit and chips. Serve right away or cover and refrigerate.

Worked out again last night and felt really great! Traded in my Ben & Jerry's for frozen yogurt, yeah baby!

Julia is such a great artist- totally Picaso! Look at this portrait of her dad! She observes so much! I never taught her how to make faces, besides pumpkins, last Halloween, and now she busts these out and amazes us. Today was the first time she made eyeballs and lashes. Two days ago she drew herself ( a little head) with two lines going down the entire length of the paper and excitedly told me they were her feet. SO CUTE!
I am trying to spend quality time with these little loves of mine. During the day it feels like it is dragging and I have so much to do, trying to clean up last night's dishes, do laundry, pick up the continual messes, take out garbage, and then there are the "other" chores that might get done every now and then like toilets, tubs, windows, floors, etc. Then we have to eat and get dressed, but all Jules wants to do is play. She was in the sandbox today, we fed birds, she colored, and we played The Crocodile Game ,where we line up the kitchen chairs across the livingroom to the couch and jump from chair to chair until we land safely on the couch out of the croc's reach. Lauren just watches like we're nuts. Sometimes I get to jump, but mostly I am the crocodile. So as I put Julia in the bath she says, "thanks for the fun time mom". Ahhhhhhh! Could there be anything more heartmelting???? Chores will just keep piling up, because Julia taught me today how important it is to PLAY, and here it is late afternoon, the girls are napping and the day has flown.
PS- I have just licked clean the rest of the cookie pizza frosting- who needs fruit?? YUM!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Italian salad? Cookie Pizza? That sounds disgusting! Wouldn't your family be much happier if you served them Beefaroni, Ravioli, or spaghetti and meatballs, right out of a can?

Anonymous said...

You are such a great mom. Thanks for reminding me to take time to engage with my sweet babes while they are small (& still like me) instead of counting the minutes until bedtime. You always inspire me

Candace said...

Those recipes look yummy. Gonna have to try them out.

Julia's art is great! And I agree about the chores. Seems like we're constantly picking up & straightening up. My mom always says "those chores aren't going anywhere. They'll be there for you tomorrow". You are a super mom! Sounds like a fun day.

Oh, by the way....I worked out today & then had Krispie Kreme donuts.

Michelle said...

What a great Mommy you are! I know where Julia gets all her creative abilities from! Actually you and Ryan are both so creative and fun.

I love your fruit pizza! It's a perfect dessert for summer.

Ipuna Black said...

That fruit pizza looks good! I love new recipes. Thanks for sharing!