Monday, July 24, 2006

Can you really ever go home again?

We're going back to Vegas as official nonresidents and it seems so strange! We don't have a house there?? Well just me and the girls are going in Aug. for 5 days, Ryan doesn't want to miss any work and he's having a very hard time emotionally when he even thinks of once again stepping foot on desert ground- weirdo! Southwest Airlines was having awesome ticket prices for Aug, so we couldn't pass it up, especially since Holly will have just had her baby, I had to be there! (A real friend would WAIT for me to get there, but since it is scorching, I will let her give birth when she wants to). Speaking of the heat, I am so very scared to be back in it. Our bodies, minds, and souls have been in a blissful "it's about time" state of peace, enjoying a summer that has only cracked 100 degrees three times all season, and we haven't slept one night with airconditioning on. It's been wonderful! My mind has seriously blocked the intense heat out and I am not sure how I, or especially the girlies are going to handle it. In a sadistic sort of way I am looking forward to it, just to suffer so that when I get back to CO I will be that much happier.
What will it be like to be "home" but not be at our home?
I am reading a book right now that is set in 1990 Las Vegas, the author is so completely desperate to show she grew up in Vegas, it's a bit much, but I still get this crazy satisfaction from knowing exactly where or what she is talking about. She mentions Luv It frozen yogurt, a place Ryan introduced me to. He went there as a little kid all the time on the back of his parent's bike. It's a little shack in downtown, seems like you'd really have to be a native to know about it. The author also talks about Odyssey Records (no longer in existence) and Walden Books on Maryland(also no longer in existence). Really it is so weird how that kind of familiarity is like a warm blanket from my memory to my heart. Ryan and I often wonder if we will ever know CO like we know Vegas.

Life here in Castle Rock moves ahead, we have been having FHE- silly ones really. Three weeks ago we had to clean the minivan (Im a bit obsessive about it right now with it being new) so we did a whole "clean" theme. Last week we had a root beer tasting contest and then went to the library. Ryan swore up and down that he could tell the expensive root beer from the others, so I tested him and he was right! He's in LOVE with Weinhard's Root Beer. It is way good, but should be since it is so expensive! I was loving IBC the best, but my sugar addicted butt will down warm MUG too, so I'm not really the root beer connoisseur Ryan is. Jules got in on the action and tried to guess if she was drinking her chocolate milk- she was- what a champ! Now tonight we had an impromptu Sesame Street puppet show. I did the first scene and Julia did the next, which it then quickly turned into a game of hide and seek in which we had to go find the dolls. FUN MAN! You can't beat these days. I was thinking how great it is, and how much I take for granted that she wants to hang out with us. When she's driving me crazy for attention, I should cherish it because all too soon will come the days when I will probably have to beg her to talk to me. I hope not though!
And last but not least I think I have "baby fever". Is that crazy? I think about being pregnant all the time. HELLO? I still have a baby! Really the infertility trauma probably messed with my head, now I feel like we have to have them as fast as possible, plus Lauren is such a doll she makes me want 50 more! Anyway that's a huge part of where my head is a lot lately. I have good signs though that my body is at least not menopausal- the lovely PMS. I think Sunday I put on 4 different outfits, literally pulled my hair out and swore to shave my head; I was just a beast. Gotta love those hormones fluxes!

2 comments:

Candace said...

It's weird to go back, I know. It still is for us. This place you knew so well.....& now for us it's becoming more & more foreign......but then again not.

You guys are funny....you have fun family home evenings. Root beer tasting. Who would think of that?! Too cool.

Michelle said...

You two are such fun parents! You inspired me to be a little more creative when playing with Avry. We made a fort the other night then decided to use the sheets as sleigh rides instead. They loved it.